Comparing TPO vs EPDM Single-Ply Roofing Systems for Flat Roofing in Toronto
Construction plans for many commercial buildings and industrial complexes will typically include some form of flat roofing system. For owners or managers of these properties, there are numerous benefits to installing these systems versus the traditional sloped or pitched roofs that are usually seen with private residences in Toronto.
The benefits commonly associated with flat roofs in contrast to sloped/pitched roofs are:
- Ease of installation, often resulting in a lower initial cost
- Long lifespan – extends time before replacement needed
- Maintenance and repair costs are lower over time in general
- Easily accessible for the purposes of any maintenance or repair
- Offers a surface to accommodate equipment such as HVAC units
- Better wind resistance – lessens the risk of costly storm damage
- Energy efficiency – less unused space below the roof to heat/cool
- Is readily adaptable for the installation of green roofing initiatives
When installing new commercial flat roofing or replacing their existing flat roof, property owners will be faced with several considerations, including the right choice of material to suit their needs and budgets; among those options is single-ply roofing, including TPO (thermoplastic olefin) and EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) membranes.
While TPO and EPDM roofing are single-ply in terms of their structure, they are not at all like other situations where the same product is simply sold under different brand names; they do have similarities but there are also some significant differences between the two types of roofing. To assist building owners in determining which of these membranes is a better option for their property, the team from Can-Sky Roofing, one of the leading flat roofing companies in Toronto offers the following comparative summary:
- TPO Roofing
- Cost-effective installation (less time; less labour)
- White membrane – helps lower energy costs in summer
- Resistant to mold/fungus growth, dirt accumulation, tears
- Withstands exposure to UV rays, chemicals, acids, oils, etc.
- Can be installed over existing roofs (under certain conditions)
- Resistant to punctures from natural sources or foreign objects
- Maintains its flexibility even under extremely cold temperatures
- Available in bigger widths – fewer seams to seal (or that can fail)
- Eco-friendly material – TPO roofing membranes are 100% recyclable
- Is a relatively new form of single-ply roofing – limited track record
- Heat-welded seams can tear or develop cracks/leaks if poorly welded
- This membrane can shrink to a degree when exposed to extreme heat
- EPDM Roofing
- Environmentally friendly – made from synthetic rubber
- Cost-effective installation (less labour re: long-roll lengths)
- Available in larger/wider sheets, thus fewer number of seams
- Can be installed using either an adhesive or mechanical fasteners
- Withstands Toronto’s weather conditions, temperature fluctuations
- Long lifespan (30-50 years) – most repairs are relatively inexpensive
- Excellent waterproofing properties re: rainstorms and melting snow/ice
- Does not contribute pollutants (e.g. oils, chemicals) to storm-water run-off
- Membrane is black in colour – attracts rather than reflects heat
- Also available in white, but at a higher cost than standard black
- Has less/poor resistance when exposed to chemicals, acids, oils
- Requires specialized installation skills to ensure adhesion/sealing
These single-ply flat roofing systems have their respective advantages (and drawbacks); however, one option might be more preferable under certain circumstances based on the structural plan for the building, local climate conditions, and property owner preference.
A Complete Range of Flat Roofing Services for Toronto’s Commercial Properties
Commercial property owners looking to install a new or replacement flat roof can rely on the skilled professionals from Can-Sky Roofing, one of the leading flat roofing companies within Toronto. The scope of their experience, spanning 1,000+ flat roof projects, allows Can-Sky to capably install, replace, or repair all types of flat roofing materials, including single-ply TPO and EPDM roofing membranes, for a wide range of commercial structures.
To learn more about the comprehensive services offered by the capable flat roofers from Can-Sky Roofing in Toronto.
For all your commercial flat roofing needs, call the installation and repair specialists at Can-Sky Roofing in Toronto today at
647-691-0487 or contact us for a free estimate.