Built-Up Roofing (BUR) Remains a Viable Option for Commercial Flat Roofing
When a commercial property owner requires the installation of a new or replacement flat roof, they have several alternatives with respect to the choice of roofing and how it fits with their needs and their operating budget; among the many options is built-up roofing.
Built-up roofing, more commonly referred to as BUR, has been available for more than a century and remains one of the most popular materials for commercial flat roofing today. BUR roofing is comprised of layers of bitumen (viscous petroleum-based materials) such as asphalt, coal tar, or cold-applied adhesive plus a durable stone or aggregate coating.
There are essentially two types of built-up roofing; both forms use ballast as a top layer:
- Hot – asphalt or coal tar heated in a kettle then applied by mop/mechanical spreader
- Cold – heavyweight asphalt base sheets affixed with solvent-borne asphalt adhesives
There are several benefits that commercial property owners can attain from BUR roofing:
- Pros of BUR or Built-Up Roofing
- Good waterproofing properties
- Easy and economical to maintain
- Very good fire retardant properties
- Longer-lasting (due to multiple plies)
- Provides an excellent finished surface
- Stands up well against inclement weather
- Excellent protection against ultra-violet rays
As with the various other types of commercial flat roofing material, built-up roofing has characteristic disadvantages as well; these would include:
- Cons of BUR or Built-Up Roofing
- A slower installation process
- Can be more expensive to install
- Susceptible to wind and water damage
- Hazardous fumes during installs (except cold BUR)
Based on the proven track record of built-up roofing over the past 100 years, as well as ongoing improvements in both the materials and installation technology, it is clear to see why this remains a viable option for commercial flat roofing. To determine whether BUR is the right choice for their Toronto property, building owners would be well-advised to consult with roofers who possess extensive experience in the commercial roofing sector; one such contractor would be Can-Sky Roofing.
Experienced Commercial Roofing Services for a Variety of Properties in Toronto
Building owners who need to install a new or replacement flat roof can benefit from the experience of Can-Sky Roofing, one of the top commercial roofing companies in Toronto. The expertise of these specialists stems from more than 1,000 flat roof projects, thus making Can-Sky Roofing an ideal choice to install, replace, or repair any/all types of flat roofing, including BUR or built-up roofing, for a wide variety of commercial properties.
To learn more about the experience and services available from the skilled BUR roofers at Can-Sky Roofing in Toronto.