Questions to Ask about the Roofing Warranty before Signing the Work Contract
By definition, a warranty is a written statement or pledge that guarantees the acceptable condition of a product and further states that the manufacturer or supplier is responsible for repairing or replacing that item for a specified period of time after its purchase date. Such a promise is often an essential part of a major financial investment/purchase by a homeowner or commercial property owner; a roof replacement warranty or a roof repair warranty would be prime examples here.
With respect to a roofing warranty, an appropriate package should include the following:
- Materials – defects in manufacturing
- Workmanship – labour and installation
Quite often though, a property owner can contact a manufacturer or a roofing contractor to submit a warranty claim only to learn that their claim is invalid due to one or more of these reasons:
- The original warranty period is no longer in effect/expired
- The roofer’s warranty does not include manufacturing defects
- The manufacturer’s warranty does not include incorrect installation
Any of these circumstances can lead to prolonged and highly frustrating communications and negotiations to try and resolve the situation, and perhaps out-of-pocket expenses as well for the property owner, should they need to repair or replace the item in question as an interim measure.
Therefore, it is extremely important to thoroughly review and understand all facets of a warranty, and to ask for a detailed explanation from the roofing contractor if any content or warranty exclusions are confusing or unclear; a good deal of frustration, and potential costs, can be saved by knowing what is written in the fine print, as the expression goes.
Before signing any work order or contract with a roofing contractor, it would be advisable to assess these aspects of the warranty to become familiar with its terms and conditions:
- Materials (Defects in Manufacturing)
- What is the length of the roofing materials warranty?
- Are there any exclusions or limitations within the warranty?
- Does the warranty vary by component (gutters, vents, membranes)?
- Are there any circumstances or conditions that would nullify coverage?
- Workmanship (Labour and Installation)
- What is the length of the roofing contractor’s warranty?
- What are the terms, conditions, and limitations of the warranty?
- How are claims processed – by the contractor or by a third-party agent?
- Who is responsible for subsequent roof repair costs, i.e.: materials, labour?
- Are they willing to help with submitting any warranty claims to a manufacturer?
If a roofing contractor is hesitant or unwilling to discuss the terms and conditions of their warranty coverage, it should be a strong indicator that they are likely not the right roofer for the job. On the other hand, an experienced and reputable roofing contractor such as Can-Sky Roofing will not only answer any questions about their warranty package in an open and honest style, but will also take the initiative to review this information with the client prior to signing the work agreement.
Flat Roof Repair and Replacement Services with an Industry-Leading Warranty
Can-Sky Roofing is a construction company that has completed more than 1000 flat-roof projects in the commercial and multiple dwelling unit sectors within the Greater Toronto Area and throughout Southern Ontario; their flat roofing experience includes:
- New installations
- and sheet metal work
Across all of the above services, commercial property owners and managers can rely on Can-Sky for efficiency and consistency with respect to:
- Providing suitable roofing solutions
- Care and attention to detail and budgets
- Using the highest-quality roofing materials
- Quality work by manufacturer-certified crews
- Industry-leading warranty protection – 5 years
- Workplace and general liability insurance coverage
To learn more about Can-Sky Roofing, and their roof repair and replacement services, manufacturer warranties, and warranties relative to their commercial/industrial roofing services, see our flat roof repair and sheet metal work page.
For all your commercial flat roof needs, including new installations, repair, replacement, and retrofitting, call the experienced flat roofing specialists from Can-Sky Roofing today at 647-691-0487 or contact us to request a no-obligation quote.